Monday, September 5, 2011

Loloy's Text

It just came to me this morning to send a text message to my nephew, “Loy, I’m sick and tired of working here already. I feel like coming back home. I don’t know...”

It was just one of those usual whining and whimpering slipping out into my cp.

My nephew replied, “Uncle, don’t give up, you can make it. Me here, I weed the farm, climb coconut trees, plow the fields. I do this because this is the only job I know...”

That simple message instantly hit me.

Yeah, I work away from home, I have practically no life here in Saudi, and my heart is laden with homesickness. But I am still lucky. I got work, I’m in the office doing light jobs, I am better paid, and my earnings enable my family to live a better life.

In contrast, my nephew couldn’t even find a job. He dropped out from high school because having cleft-palate handicap, he could not take the taunting and cruel jokes of his schoolmates. And there he is; doing hard labors he wholeheartedly accepts. I know it’s harder there.

Ah! And I thought there is nothing to learn from a person like Loloy. I’ve never been prouder of him. He opened my eyes to the value of my job.

I messaged him back. “Yeah, I will never give up, Loy. And I will never take this job for granted. Thank you for the inspiration.”

No comments:

Post a Comment